Tuesday, March 14, 2006

From JFK's airport

Check in took a whole of 10 minutes, now I have 1.5 hours to kill! Thank goodness there is a nice line of broadband jacks lining the wall near my gate! Even though it says courtesy of British Airlines, and I'm flying Iberia, no one seems to be checking tickets... ;)

And lucky I decided to pack a network cable in my carry-on. I don't see any wi-fi signal around here.

Someone suggested I post travel advice on my blog. (By the way, I am not going to mention anyone's name, especially real names, here unless they put it into a comment themselves first. I was raised into technology adulthood by paranoid geeks... lol) I have been flying at least once a year for the past decade, more often twice a year, so I think I can add a little something of my experience when the occasion rises.

On plane ticket prices: shop around. Try the airlines based in the city you're going to, first. And check their website for promotions. It really doesn't matter which airline. They all have to comply to world standards, they all fly up and come down. The only diff can be service. But when you're locked up in a metal box up in the air, my suggestion is to just sleep it off. So I don't really care for service. I managed to find a deal with Iberia for a round trip at only $419. One-way tickets are always more expensive. Someone said not coming back after buying a round-trip puts a flag on your file... somewhere... Will let you know if that's true next time I have to enter the USA ;) And of course, traveling weekends is always the pricier.

Oh, and since I forgot my headphones and can't listen to my music or watch House' first season without being obnoxious (you guys rock for that last minute present!!), another tip is to always bring a pair with ya. Some airlines will charge for a set, some will hand them out for free, some will have them ready for use at the seat... but I find that having my own is always easiest.

one hour to take-off. I have my Dramamine ready (a must for anyone who ever gets motion sickness), and I am quite sleep-deprived. I'm hoping it'll add up to sleeping it all away!

up, up, and away!!

...and hopefuly down, down, gently and safely :P

Sono all'aeroporto, per fortuna hanno connessione all'internet. Do un paio di consigli su come viaggiare, spendere meno soldi su biglietti, e portarsi dietro le proprie cuffie per evitare altre spese. Io spero di dormire per tutto il viaggio, ho dormito pochissimo in questi ultimi giorni, preparandomi... Spero di decollare ed atterrare gentilmente... parto in solo un'ora!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Damn... I knew I should've fired up AIM! :)

Safe trip!

Anonymous said...

So... you are probably flying now. Good luck and happy trails. Next time we see each other, let's be in Ireland :-D