Tuesday, April 25, 2006

quick quick before more accumulates...

[note: i re-edited this post apr 28 to add links to photos]

When I start slacking I have soo much more work to do... and I thought I was on vacation :P

Sat was a nice, lazy day. Almost didn't do anything... then by mid afternoon we went to meet another friend of Ana's to have some coffee and visit Paris' Chinatown. I've only really seen NYC's Chinatown. So I assumed they would all be as chaotic, smelly, with narrow streets, tiny shops piled one next to the other, tons of people, tourists and locals, struggling to check out the designer rip-offs... Instead, I find a happy, Parisian street, wide, with tons of trees, almost no people, huge souvenir stores and supermarkets, restaurants, no knock-offs... Just odd.

We made a short visit of it. A couple of hours later we were back home, having dinner and making sure to get enough sleep to be ready to go to the park the day after. My wonderful hosts made an indoor bbq (electric, neat stuff!) and helped me plan some more sight-seeing and travel options.

Parc Asterix was cool. Didn't take us too long to get there. The place was packed. It had opened only 2 weekends before, and they had been promoting it with the new movie that came out April 12. There were new attractions related to it. The lines were long for the rides, so we only got on 3 of them. Irina and Ana braved an upside-down loops rollercoaster... while I checked out the local magic show. lol. The rest of the day was mostly spent on shows, less lines and longer entertainment. I have pics, but still have to organize... I'm starting to lag on that... sooowwwy... but u know i'll post them eventually :) [apr 28 and here they are! pics from Parc Asterix!]

And today Monday I finally went to Le Louvre! It was an overdose of art, people, cultures, and walking. I think I managed to pass through maybe 80% of what was open. Some sections are closed on certain days. Of course I made my way to la Mona Lisa first. Which was more crowded than the Guernica at the Reina Sofia in Madrid. And you couldn't take pics. It's set in a huge free-standing panel in the middle of a room of the paintings section.

Other famous bits I got to see: eh, go to Le Louvre's website and see their map. Anything highlighted on it was where the tourists were, snapping pics where they could.

Tips: Even on a Monday at noon, it's mobbed. I imagine it's worse on weekends, but don't expect any less traffic even at odd hours. The Egyptian wing is mobbed with French children. The Mona Lisa is the busiest area, of course. I found empty rooms in the Northern European Sculptures area. In general the lower ground floor will grant you some respite from crowds. Must see: much of it is like any other big museum, paintings, greek sculptures, egyptian stuff... but just like the Met has the walk-in pyramid, Louvre has some cool, non-standard sections. The Mesopotamia section has a huge, high-ceiling room with Winged Bulls (entrance decorations). Next to that, the French Sculpture section has a cool setup of inside courts. Again, huge spaces in Paris... Upstairs from that, the Napoleon Apartments. Which have been used by different politicians as offices through France's history. Amazing to think this was actually inhabited. So luxurious... The medieval Louvre has an interesting atmosphere, but there isn't much to it. You walk around a circle wall of old stones. Oh, and all the signs are in French. The only way to learn is to pick up plastic notes that are positioned in strategic spots about certain objects of art. In several languages. Huge read for the one section. No middle-ground learning here. If you want to actually observe the art, I suggest you concentrate on a period at a time. And plan for a couple of days. It's still mad tiring to absorb it all in such a short span... See pics of the coolest areas of the Louvre.

After 4 hours, I was dehydrated, hungry, and tired. So I made my way home. Big mistake. Rush hour metro was hell. I forgot the inferno of regular commuters. But in Paris there is no AC in the cars. At stops, you hear a chorus of "Pardon. Pardon Messier. Pardon." With the French "R", of course. That's what makes it French. I'm trying to pick some French up... but I lack a lot. All I muddle through is whatever is similar to Italian.

That evening we made another indoor bbq, and I think I have the next 2 months kinda planned out. Looks like I won't reach Italy until almost July... lol. So off from my original plan. But I'm definitely leaving from here to be in Germany May 5-7. And from there to Holland. From there I have access to many other places. And I even promised a quick return to Madrid mid May... sucks when you leave things and people behind, and you wanna see them again, and you need to travel to do so... even in small Europe, travel takes time. And money. Stupid travel. Hey. Wait. No. Good travel. Happy times. :) Wish it didn't cost so much. Or take so long.

Aaight, tomorrow I have to get up early to make a trip out to Versailles, outside of Paris. So, off I go to get my... ugh, 7 hrs of sleep. Ah well. Pics will be forthcoming!

And yey Lila for reading my blog :)

No comments: