Thursday, June 08, 2006

Antwerp.... check!

A quick "I'm alive, all is well" entry before I am off to the train station, to my next destination.

Antwerp is a nice city. A mixture of old-school and modern European life. I hung out in a cobblestone plaza where some students were playing jazz, cruised by the river, did the museums (Reuben's house: not worth it. The other two museums, pretty cool.) Also visited the Kulminator, a bar famous for the insane variety of beers it has. Their menu is a 40 pages catalog!

Met a couple of new people along the way. One, my roommate, from Japan, who's studying French. Unfortunately she was leaving when I arrived. So a short but pleasant conversation was all we could do. Then, yesterday evening, 3 musicians, a sax player, a piano player, and a DJ. They were so nice, they invited me over to their places to listen to music. Wary, but with a good feeling, I went along. Turned out to be a cool night! The mix of live sax over a DJ spinning is a good sound. Hurray for random acquaintances!

So, all is well. I was told Leuven is a tiny student city, not much to see. But that is where most of the local universities are. Just one night there. Then off to Brussels, to see if my random acquaintances continue on a good streak.

Half an hour in an internet cafe doesn't give you much time to think... the length of my posts might finally be under control! ;)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Val,

It was so nice to talk to you last night. Unfortunately we did not meet earlier in the week, because I would have taken you to Vibes bar, where on Monday night there is live jammin. The atmosphere in the cellar is pretty wild, the band is hot, and the nicest thing is that every musician passing by can always join, so there is the house band and a variety of guest performers. When the band stops playing at around midnight, the dj takes over and he keeps the funk alive, all this combined with great cocktails served by the friendly bartenders, and you'll find Vibes bar is well kept secret but a must see for every traveller passing by. So next time, if you are in Antwerp, you can stay in my place, and i will show you around. You can mail me at djeduardo@telenet.be Enjoy Leuven and Brussels. Big hug. DJ Eduardo.

Anonymous said...

I'm so glad you are alive and well. We are off but we hope have a great time and we'll see ya when we get back!

Figs