Friday, June 16, 2006

cool life experiences

Randomness strikes again. I really liked this week and a half disconnected from my comp, from old friends, from books... anything that kept me from actually facing the world. After I met my new friend in Brussels, Kim, web manager extraordinaire, amazing life survivor, and an inspiration all in herself, we went together off to Ghent, to see the sights for the afternoon, then we parted ways, she going back to Brussels, me to Bruges. Here the interesting stuff started.

Well, about Ghent, it's a *really* pretty city. We did the boat tour, and visited the castle in town. On the boat, there were 5 drunk local women who made the trip interesting. Fun, overall. Tiring and hot, though. I was lugging about my backpack and it was 30 degrees centigrade. Hot. We called it quits around 3pm.

But Bruges takes first prize in Pretty town to visit in Belgium. It is a gorgeous, safe, old town, lots to see and experience, and wonderful local people. While getting there was exhausting--the hostel was ghetto (do "The Passage" if you can, not the "Europe"!) and was outside the center--I met many tourists and nice people on my time outside. I even worked at a restaurant as a busboy! (bus girl??).

But let's start at the beginning. After a cold reception at the hostels, and after visiting a local, *tres ghetto* supermarket (but yummy mini-sausages!!), and after a nap, I headed into town. Since it is light until after 10pm, there is plenty time to stroll around and see the sights. Ended up at a famous local bar, the 't Brugs Beertje. Had some local suggestions (bartender was very nice and knowledgeable!!) and met some guys from Sweden, who enlightened me about their country, and a guy from North carolina, one of them forces of nature, who enjoys life to the fullest. He told his "I was mugged in Brussels" story a couple of times, completely enjoying it! We ended up ambling about Bruges at night together. Fun experience.

The next day I went about town, seeing all the sights. I kept running into two American guys from Nebraska, whom we had met the night before. Completely odd, we kept saying "bye" and then we'd meet in another side of town, a couple of miles away. Nice people :) I didn't enter many places, opting for not spending money on museums here. But I did see the Lace center. Amazing how they braid threads to compose all sorts of forms... I was so impressed that I cracked and bought some souvenirs! The first after the comic books in Spain. The other famous sight was Michelangelo's "Madonna and Child", one of the few works from the guy that are outside of Italy. Free to see, too, which was odd.

For the evening, I looked up a good restaurant. There are these guides for young people that are the shit, with very useful information on where to go and what to do. I discovered them in Antwerp and looked for them in every city afterwards. http://use-it.be/ is the website. They had an Italian restaurant "where they only speak Italian" listed. Figured I'd get a chat in there. Turned out to be quite an experience. I walked in saying "Buongiorno!" in Italian. The owner sat down with me to talk about food and beer. Ended up giving me a card for me to go to a businessman friend of his, and get a free "best beer of the world for 2006" (the Westvleteren Abt 12). He also told me him and one of his friends were going to be at a certain bar to watch the soccer game for that night, so if I wasn't doing anything, I could see them there. You'd think he was trying to hit on me. I have that radar always on, expecting it from any guy that talks to me... with this guy, though, it wasn't quite that way. More of a "here is some company, you seem to need it" kinda feeling. So I told him I'd probably see him there. The bar I wanted to visit was closed, so I went there instead. Found a spot at the bar. Watched the game. It was the bar of the Passage Hostel, Lotsa young ppl about. A group of Argentinians that were cheering on. The game was Germany vs Croatia. After the first time, they show up. Didn't quite exchange words. Just sat down, said hi, acknowledge me there, then watched the game. The friend was an older guy who also worked in the restaurant. At the end of the game, they told me they were gonna play pool in the back. I chatted with some Australian guys for a while, then joined them. Didn't play, but hanged out. On their way out, it had started raining. This, after a whole week of *gorgeous* weather! I even got sunburned. A little tourist tan :) So they offered me an umbrella, and I said I'd bring it back the next day.

Walking home was a long thing. But I hadn't gotten 5 minutes, when the older guy calls me. He was walking my same way, and invited me to another drink. Wary again, but he felt on a good vibe, too, and had worked in my hometown... so we sat down and chatted for a while. Nothing wrong. Just some nice, harmless bonding. Antonio is his name. I finally got to the hostel around 2am. A short night sleep, as I had to check out at 10am. Then I walked to the restaurant again. Actually, first I stopped by the store to look for the beer. Guy there seemed curious as to who I was. Told me the best way to enjoy this young beer was to let it sit in a cool cellar for 4 months... But it would be ok as-is, too :)

After that, showed up at the restaurant. Owner was busy with suppliers and the phone. He said hi but was kinda off after that. I wasn't sure whether to hang around or not. Was offered tea. Then I though I should leave. Was offered pizza. After that, I was offered a job. The other guys working there were wondering who I was. Randomly asked me questions. I had originally turned down the job offer, thinking it was more of a "wanna earn some money?" thing, but it turned out to be more of a "I need help today" gig. A way to repay the food I gobbled up. So once I realized that, I offered help. So I worked as a busboy for the first time in my life. Mad nervous, kept sitting down waiting for someone to leave to clear their table and clean it... but I came out of there feeling grateful. Little things the owner, Alessandro, said, about his life philosophy, his view on things, gave me one of them "wow, this is a Good guy that actually helps make the world a bit better" feelings. Which I don't get often. I sat down with all of them to have lunch. I tried to explain I was just shy. I was told I was *not* shy. Something else, maybe, but not shy. I later was told by someone else that all I have is lack of confidence... Got me thinking.

By 4pm Alessandro was on his way out, he just said bye. I panicked, saying I'd leave, too. He told me the rest of the guys wouldn't bite. I still felt like it was time for me to go. So he ended up offering me a ride to the train station. Along the way he picked up his woman and son. I had a quick insight on his personal life. It felt amazing. I held back tears, of confusion, of relief, of happiness, of nervousness... Once I told them bye, on the way home, I let it all out, Didn't care I was in the middle of a train station. It was an odd feeling, I felt I had just learned something deep, and I was happy for the experience.

So, if you are ever in Bruges, do stop by Trattoria Trium, it's north of the main Market Square, and tell them you know Valeria from the Island of Elba... maybe they'll remember me.

I ended up back in Brussels, called Kim, who was busy but left the apt open for me (isn't she amazing?). So I went to hang out with her doggies (I never thought I'd like lap dogs, but they are just good, too...) and slept. When she got back, we chatted about our experiences from the past couple of days. It's amazing how some times you meet just the right people. We went together to the museum of comic art in Brussels the next day (not quite worth the 7.50EUR...) and parted ways at the train station. But planning the next trip. I am so looking forward to keeping in touch with her. Her life story is amazing, and she is one strong woman.

Now I am back in Tilburg. Due in Amsterdam Sunday for my cat-sitting job. My hosts are still on vacation, they just left me keys (I still don't believe my luck) so I could get in. Life is amazing. Being out there is rewarding. I am thinking I should head down south for the summer, chill and maybe find a part-time job through August, then travel again in September, when things cool and calm down. Hopefully my finances will hold. July and August are high season, no hostels left available, too many tourists about...

I am having visions of a bohemiam life style. Living random places, doing odd jobs like cat- or dog-sitting, traveling, and making art. Letting go of all my "I should, I can't, I oughtta...." and just live for a little. Do what most people experience in their college life... before they get a "real" job and become "adults"...

Then I have to figure out a way to make it all up... but if I can repay a 10th of the goodness I have received during this whole trip, I'd be happy.

Oh, and today marks 3 months of my travels. Amazing, uh?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Those are some wonderful, unplanned experiences. And I think this is your best blog post so far.

Anonymous said...

Wow... Sounds like an awesome, life-changing experience. Thanks for sharing it with the rest of us :-D

Anonymous said...

Val, I'm so glad things are working out. I do miis u though...this place isn't the same without you.

Anonymous said...

ME encanta, me encanta... Ya decia yo: el universo siempre SIEMPRE confabula a tu favor... Ahi esta... todo esto estaba ahi para que lo vieras y lo vivieras... Me encanta!!

Anonymous said...

Hello, Val.
Your entries are a wonderful record, and I appreciate the opportunity to "experience" them with you. You should know that your adventure is proving very helpful to me: I am teaching a course in the fall entitled "Innocents Abroad: Encountering the Other." Take care, Val.

llc