Friday, June 23, 2006

u'd think i'd be in a cooffeeshop every day...

...instead, I continue my unhealthy addiction to TV, computer, indoors... Well, I *might* have something to show for the day. Some web help, research, emails... but not really. I figure if I was stoned all day I'd be in a very similar state as when I stare at the two screens... but my lungs are clearer :D

Wed. did turn out to be a somewhat productive day. Passed by Anna Frank's house, the line was too long and didn't care to wait in it while it drizzled. The next nearest museum was the Bible museum. Not a likely choice for a non-religious, almost atheist person like myself... but I had seen brochures about a special exhibit of silver work on books which I wanted to see. Since it was free entry for me, I strolled through the whole thing. Learned a couple more things about the Christian religion. The place is "famous" for the reproduction of the Tabernacle made by the house's last owner, before it became a museum. Also had some egyptian art, and they kept the original kitchen and some rooms from when people lived there. Amsterdam is all about the canals, and the houses alongside them are beautiful pieces of architecture. Seeing them inside is just a cool experience. And the books were damn pretty :D

By the time I made it out, the dreadful, rainy morning had turned into a cloudy sky. I walked home, and when I went out again at 8 it was sunny, as if the day had been nothing but! Crazy weather... I met up with the keys lady, went to a local bar with a friend of hers to watch the game. Several glasses of wine later on their part, and a mixture of beer, sprite, water, and tea for me, we left after a tied 0-0 game, and they decided to go to a local lounge. I followed, not quite feeling 100%, but curious. I tried to have a mini glass of wine myself, managed to make my way to a second, but then I had to give up. I chatted with them and hung out, mostly absorbing the atmosphere and seeing them interact with the people.

I love how I manage to mix being a tourist with mingling with locals. I wish I was getting more of a language learning experience, but everyone speaks English here, even half of the TV is in English, just with Dutch subtitles... it doesn't quite feel much of a displacement. Actually, the second most spoken language with me is Spanish! Seems like the Dutch like latin culture. One girl I met that night had lived in Spain for a couple of years, and we chatted up in Spanish. The bar owner had a bar in Spain before opening the one there... keys lady studied salsa music in the Netherlands for her PhD... I hate to believe in the cultural stereotypes, about "northern" people being cold, but loving the warmth of the "southern" people... but I think I am starting to see it...

Not much more to tell about. I do have some pics, but it's mostly of the books. I got one outside pic, in lousy cloudy light... tomorrow I am kicking my ass outside and staying there until I can't take it anymore! Also going to try and make some sleep up. Kitty is cute and all... but this wanting to be fed by 8am is not fitting my NY time lifestyle... I don't think I've had one full, continuous night of sleep since I got here! Which is not helping my motivation... let's see if closing the door, sleeping early, and using earplugs helps :P

No comments: